Sunday, June 15, 2008

Leona Lewis Speaks About Reaching Fame



The new international sensation reveals insight about climbing the musical ladder.

Leona Lewis, the Mariah-meets-Whitney singing wonder, has just started her career. Her album, Spirit, and her chart-topping single, “Bleeding Love,” have been setting historic musical records since their release.

This 23-year-old rising star plans not to be persuaded into Hollywood pitfalls that come with fame. “You can't make your mistakes in private,” Lewis says Friday. “I have the advantage of a great support structure. I get honest opinions from my family and friends. They aren't always telling me what I want to hear, but the truth helps keep my head straight.”

In addition, she doesn’t smoke, drink, or wear leather or diamonds. “I’ve tasted champagne, which is gross. And I tasted wine, which I don’t like. I might be quite boring,” in a June 2 article on E! Online.

Lewis is no stranger to the music scene. According to E! Online, the British sensation was once the premier contestant on The X Factor, Simon Cowell’s British version of American Idol. She then released her take on Kelly Clarkson’s hit debut, “A Moment Like This,” and set a Guinness world record when the song sold 50,000 downloads in just 30 minutes.

This success led to a joint recording deal between Cowell and music legend Clive Davis. “Leona Lewis will not be an overnight sensation,” Davis said in an earlier article. “She is the real deal and this is just the beginning of a long and illustrious career.”

Even if “Bleeding Love” is her first international hit, Lewis claims to have written more than 100 songs. “I may sing some of them on a future release,” she says.

No comments: