Saturday, September 20, 2008

R&B singer Christina Milian signs with MySpace Records



R&B/pop singer-songwriter Christina Milian, who departed the label Def Jam in 2006, has signed a deal with MySpace Records, Billboard has learned.

Her label debut is due next spring. The first single, "Us Against The World," is a "cinematic power ballad" and will be available via the social networking site on October 6.

"I've been out of the game for one and a half years, and I think I'm long overdue for a comeback, so I'm treating this album like it's my last chance to make an impression. I'm competing with myself and being very detailed," the 26-year-old Cuban-American told Billboard. "Before, I had a label telling me what direction to go in. Now, it's my choice, so I'm being very particular about it and I'm really excited."

Kanye West is the sole guest artist so far, but Milian, who wrote most of the album, hints at potential collaborative surprises down the line.

Milian's stint with Def Jam did not end well. She was dropped just a month after the release of her third studio album, 2006's "So Amazin'," allegedly because of poor sales. The set has shifted more than 163,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen Soundscan.

But she views the MySpace deal as a chance for a fresh start. "I have a lot of support from my peers. I have lots of people that love me and want the best for me," she said. "Sometimes things don't work out the right way, but I know I work my butt off on my end. As long as you know you worked hard, you feel accomplished. Thankfully, I took the time off to check out what's going on and now I'm back, and MySpace is allowing me to do tons of different things creatively."

Milian will appear on the big screen in the romantic comedy "The Ghosts of Girlfriends," starring Matthew McConaughey and scheduled to hit theaters in February. She is featured as the lead in a live-action film made for the EA videogame "Need for Speed," due November 28.

No comments: